My Filipino Baby

I was on the bus on my way home from work. We had to stop at WalMart and this elderly gentleman got on the bus.

"Oh my, I must have done something right!", he exclaimed.

"Why is that?", the female bus driver replied.

"Well, how did you get a pretty young lady to ride this bus with me?". He smiled at me.

Obviously, he meant me, it doesn't take a lot to figure it out because it was just him and I as passengers. I smiled back, an awkward smile. He has a sincere tone to his voice.

"So, did you grow up here in this town?", he asked once he sat right across me.

Politely, I replied, "No, I did not".

"Where were you raised then?".

"Philippines. Visayas region.".

"Did you know that they created a song about you Filipinas? It was around World War 2. It's called My Filipino Baby".

"Oh wow. Really?"

He smiled at me and started to sing the chorus of the song...

     She's my Filipino baby
She's my treasure and my pet
Her teeth are bright and pearly
And her hair is black as jet
Oh, her lips are sweet as honey
And her heart is true I know
She's my darlin' little Filipino Baby.

He is not like those freaky old guys who hit on younger ladies. He is a gentleman, I bet in his younger years, he was the type to send love letters, poetry to the love of his life.

I felt my cheeks blush. I had a smile on my face, same as the driver. For the first time in my life, somebody serenaded me. And who would have thought it will come from a 72-year-old man. :)

peace out

2 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

That is so cool. What an awesome thing to have happen to you!! :)

{April} said...

I know. It was a bit too good to be true. :)