Day Three


My feet are sore from standing at work and from standing on my toes. Let me explain, I finally know how to grind a whole bean coffee without any goosebumps at the sight of the grinder. The only catch is, I'm too "petite". I have to stand on my toes while pouring the beans in the grinder and while I'm trying to put them in the coffee filter.

Anyway, today was crazy. At least for a newbie like me.

I had the deer in the headlight look when my learning coach, Christine told me to grind the coffee beans by myself while she observes if I'm doing it right. Thank God, I didn't screw up. (yet)

More of the deer in the headlight look when the "rush" came. Meaning, people lining up to get their coffee. Lots of people. Some are very patient and some are not. I'm telling you, Christine is awesome, she's my hero. Not a look of panic on her face.

And I tried the best that I can to help without losing my marbles. I took an order from a dear old guy, he wanted a Grande Latte and another Grande Sugar Free Vanilla Latte. I was desperate to remember his order and thankfully, I did. It sounds so easy and stupid, but I'm telling you, it's the nerves.

I ground and brewed my first coffee today, for the first time in my entire life and boy was I amazed that there's such thing called an Espresso shot, I thought they only exist in Tequilas.

Anyway, I feel good about seeing what it's like when there's a rush because it's a reality check of my capacity. I think I can do it. Save for the recipes and how many squirts of syrup to put on what order, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

They said I did good, I say I can probably do better the next time.

and next time starts in about 4 and a half hours.

2 comment(s):

h. said...

i'd have a venti chocolate frapuccino please ;-)

you'll get the hang of it april. looking forward to more barista stories.

{April} said...

One venti chocolate frapuccino coming right up. ;)

i'm getting the hang of it.. day by day..

oh and I have lots of stories to tell.

haha.